Wednesday, November 9, 2016

HAPPY 75th BIRTHDAY MR. HARTSOE

It was 1974 in suburban Detroit, I was one of those disenfranchised Catholic kids. My father, a conductor, jazz musician and teacher struggling hard to get by, always working two jobs to support his seven children. My mother, a semi-retired singer would frequently sing with my fathers big band on weekends, but her primary role in life was to take care of the family.

The Vietnam war was was winding down, and most of the baby boomers were sick of it all. "Defiance" was the creed of the teen population, which doubled in numbers versus the "older generation". So, like so many of my friends, I grew my hair long and smoked pot, listened to rock music, and disassociated myself from all societal norms. When my dad busted me with a bag of weed, and realized that I wasn't benefiting from he Catholic school at all, he transferred me to Dondero High School. My brothers had already graduated from there, and were heavily involved in the music programs. Neither were interested in drugs or causing trouble, so Dad figured it was a better bet. I was ecstatic at the prospect of getting the hell out of the parochial school, where I was bored and lacking direction and focus. As they say, "the idle mind is the devils workshop". This applied to my reckless abandon of many of the values that my parents had instilled in us. 


Rick Hartsoe was the Choir Director at Dondero, but he was much more than a choir director. I knew him from my brothers, who would assist him in arranging rock songs for what became quite famously known locally as "Dondero Pop Concert", in which his choirs would do popular rock tunes, also allowing many of the students to arrange and perform solo's. This annual concert had grown over the previous  five years, and had become a favorite for the local population, and was gaining notoriety among surrounding cities. Thousands people would attend the weekend extravaganza, as several performances would be held over a weekend each year. 

HARTSOE'S OPUS - INSPIRING KIDS
Ricks legacy will always be the thousands of kids he inspired. Challenging them to be a better person. Whether tackling a difficult piece of music or tackling a difficult piece of life, Mr. Hartsoe always delivered. 


1976 Pop Concert Album Cover
After half a year in Ricks mixed choir, I decided to try out for his advanced "A Capella Choir". After an interview with him, he told me that my audition would be to sight read a piece by Bach. A piece with no words, just a whole lot of spaghetti on the page. I was to sing or hum the music in his office, and he would judge whether or not I was qualified to join the choir. I still have no idea how I did. Without notice, without practice, I sang the notes, hoping I understood and interpreted the time signature and all the "sharps" and "flats", he said "Thank you... I'll get back to you". I thought I had failed big-time, but was surprised to see my name on the list of kids who made it.


Side 4
What happened from there was that I straightened out my act. Rick challenged me every day to improve myself. He would always be available to his students for inspiration and guidance in both their school life and home life. If a student had a problem at home, he would help them put it into perspective, and at the same time challenge them to deal with the issue while continuing to apply pressure to the student to improve themselves socially, morally, and musically.

The love of music that he instilled in many thousands of students has been the backdrop of their lives. Now in their 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's, these students have never forgotten, and will never forget the example and impact that Mr. Hartsoe demonstrated. 

Lives were changed in those years. Those students brought up their children with a love of music, and the influence of a great leader, who chose to be a mentor and a trail blazer in a time when a director, not only a musical director, but a director in life, was in great need. 


Hartsoe Goes Rogue - Happily Retired
Dondero High School closed its doors in 2006. Amazingly, after nearly 4 decades of teaching and inspiring kids, the School District said that he didn't have the proper credentials to teach grade school. Rather than argue the point, Mr. Hartsoe took to his motor home and hit the road, finally retiring at age 65. He keeps in contact with his thousands of student via social media, sharing his exploration of the United States. Rick and his wife Donna split their time between their condo and the wide open road. He continues being a friend and mentor to all of his students, who are now spread all around the country. He makes a point to have lunch with students that he hasn't seen in decades, visits their homes, and posts photographs and stories for all to enjoy.

Thank you Mr. Hartsoe for being an inspiration and a vehicle for improving the lives of thousands of students and families throughout the years. Please don't ever change. 

Thank you for being a mentor. Thank you for helping so many, including myself become the person we are today. Thank you for providing the sound track of our lives...... 

...Thank You for the Music! 

HAPPY 75th BIRTHDAY, MY FRIEND !



 

No comments:

Post a Comment